Hey there! I'm Nick Scialli, a senior UI engineer located in Northern Virginia. I have spent the past 10+ years working in the areas of software and test engineering, specializing in web applications. I have worked all across the stack, but tend to find myself gravitating towards front-end work when I have the choice.
I'm currently working as a senior UI engineer for Microsoft. Previously, I worked in civic tech, serving a "tour of duty" at the U.S. Digital Service (USDS).
Microsoft (2022 - Present)
- Senior UI engineer on the Viva Glint employee experience platform.
USDS (2019 - 2022)
At USDS, you get up to four years to work on really challenging problems in federal government and then you turn into a pumpkin. I was able to do a lot of interesting work during my time there:
- Engineer developing a pilot project to improve Unemployment Insurance claimant experience. (React/Typescript, Python/Django, MySQL, Docker, S3, Redis, AWS)
- Engineer on SimpleReport.gov, a fast, free, and easy way for COVID-19 testing facilities to report results to public health departments. (React/Typescript, GraphQL, Java/Spring Boot, Postgres, Docker, Azure)
- Lead engineer developing software for a more just and efficient asylum adjudication process. (React/Typescript, Rails, Postgres, AWS)
- Consulted on large scale import/export trade systems.
- Consulted on engineering decision-making for modernizing the organ procurement and transplantation system.
Other open source
I have released and maintain a few small, open source NPM packages that were downloaded a total of 3,000+ times in the past week.
- use-local-storage: a flexible React Hook for using Local Storage (1,000+ weekly downloads).
- random-word-slugs: a handy utility to create those random word slugs (e.g., generous-pink-biscuit) you see all over the place. (1,000+ weekly downloads).
- combinate: the perfect helper for generating all possible combinations of values (1,000+ weekly downloads).
If you'd like to reach out to me with opportunities, questions, or just to say "hi," please don't hesistate to email me at email@example.com.
You can also find me online: